Monday, September 24, 2012

So quiet...

Our summer season is over, and we both have to settle in to work tomorrow. Which is good, because it’s so quiet without all our darlings - even the vide grenier in the Village today couldn’t make up for it; though there were some lovely old treasures on show...






I bought a missal. I know - another one!  It really is getting out of hand. I’m not religious, I’m really not – but they’re such personal things, so old and lovely, this one so handled and worn and full of the quiet little moments of somebody's long-vanished life. And I might have known her, known her dreams and fears and the milestones of her beloveds. I can’t  let them lie there, being overlooked. Plus - you know - books!






For Paul, work = photography. 


He’s thinking of an exhibition next year which might take in all the visual aspects of light and movement and frenchness he loves so much.For me, it’s time to bite the bullet and start that new novel of mine, now that the themes and plots and characters have been finally all nutted down and sorted. Two hours, twice a day, no excuses. (Hope you’re reading this, Gaby…) For both of us, though,  there’s a desperate, desperate need to get back to work on our French (poor Joss has been saintly - saintly! But really we need to impress her soon or she'll wash her hands of us). For Paul as well, there’ll be local markets and cooking of course and making up recipes and playing guitar and kicking around with the Village lads (petanque, anyone?) but for me – I’d like a bit of earth. I really would. An allotment to clean up and care for, just while we’re here. It needn’t be big – something little would be quite perfect.

That, or a puppy.

sigh.  Miss you, Charlie 

6 comments:

Michel said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. So tell me, do you live part of the year in Sidney and part of the year in Provence or are you in France full time? I am impressed by the fact you are going to write a novel; something in the back of my mind too but don't see undertaking that type of project for some time. We are headed to Sablet next week and look forward to being there in the village.

Rufus Coppertop said...

Missals rock and so does that gorgeous little puppy of yours.

You know, I'm thinking that a lady who can make such pertinent comments about someone else's writing absolutely has to be a bloody good author herself.

So...I'm going to buy a copy of your novel and read it.

Rufus Coppertop said...

Missals rock and so does that gorgeous little puppy of yours.

You know, I'm thinking that a lady who can make such pertinent comments about someone else's writing absolutely has to be a bloody good author herself.

So...I'm going to buy a copy of your novel and read it.

Rufus Coppertop said...

Did I just do a double post?

mccardey said...

Rufus, you did indeed. Which means, of course, that Charlie is *twice* as gorgeous - and that you're going to buy *two* copies of "Watch Out For Me"

;)

mccardey said...

Michel, I'll be looking out for you at Bruno's ;) Bring your woolies and your umbrella - the weather has turned :(